Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Artist Statement


When I wake each morning, there is a moment when I am struck by what it means to be alive. Each of us experience these moments differently, but they are part of what make us individuals and what connects us as humans. In my work I hope to share my view on what it means to live in a changing world. Through pictures and stories I hope to convey the colors, places, and people that are important to me, and the experiences I have had. Since I was a child, I've had the opportunity to board planes and see and experience new parts of the world. Through my travels I have realized both the importance of capturing moments. either through pictures or a story, but also letting some experiences come and go, allowing my memory to shape those moments how it likes.

I’m interested in stories that can capture an audiences attention for long periods of time, or in the case of an amazing television series, years. I find inspiration in many things, but Issa Rae's show Awkward Black Girl and her ability to create a show that portrays a black woman in a non-stereotypical has been helpful guiding me through the media frenzy.

No comments:

Post a Comment